Recipe by Aroostook
This is a very moist dark fruitcake made with fresh apples, walnuts, pecans, dried fruit such as cranberries,currents, pineapple, raisins, apricots and cherries. This makes two large 8-inch fruitcakes or four loaf pans. If your dried fruit is "dry" soak in a bit of orange juice for 5-10 minutes before adding to batter. Feel free to halve the recipe. These dark fruitcakes are great keepers and they ship well!
Top Review by Elainia
First let me say I HATE fruitcake yet this recipe is FABULOUS! I made a full recipe, but halved it before I added the candied fruit. Added dried plums and the rest of the dried fruit to one (chopped) and candied fruit , dried fruit and citron to the other one. When the one without the candied fruit came out of the oven I poured 2 tbsp of vanilla rum over it and allowed it to cool. I also made 12 mini muffins without candied fruit and treated them the same way so I could have a taste-mmmmmmm!!! I don't eat the candied fruit so can't say for sure that it will be good, but based on the mini muffins I am positive it will be well recieved! Thanks for a great recipe! PS I used a springform pan and they popped out perfectly. Edit one month later- family still has a bit left over an dI am told these are better than the Collins Street fruitcakes from Texas, so kudos to you!
- 1⁄2 lb butter or 1⁄2 lb margarine
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons lemon extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 cups peeled apples (cut into slices and cooked until soft in the microwave)
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup pecans (chopped)
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1 cup currants
- 1⁄2 cup dark raisin
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1 cup dried apricot (roughly chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup candied pineapple
- 1 cup candied red cherries
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup candied cherry
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray pans with Pam.
- 2 8-inch springform or Bundt.
- or 4 loaf pans
- Flour pans well and tap then discard excess flour.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Cream butter until fluffy.
- Add brown sugar and beat for 1 minute on medium.
- Add lemon extract, eggs, cooled apples and molasses.
- Mix flour and other dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Add 1/2 the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and beat well.
- Add the rest of the flour mixture and stir until well incorporated.
- Stir in all the fruit and nuts.
- Spoon batter into each pan.
- Top with pecans, cherries and walnuts.
- Bake at 325F for 1 hour for loaf pans,.
- 1 hour 15 minutes for others.
- Let cakes set for 10 minutes.
- Using a knife, loosen fruitcake from sides of the pan.
- Open springform latch and remove pan.
- Invert cake on a plate and with a knife remove pan bottom.
- Place a cake rack on the fruitcake bottom and invert so the cake cools right side up.
- Remove plate and let set until cooled completely.
- Wrap well in plastic and store in an airtight container or foil.