Prep 2 hrs
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
- 1 lb candied cherry (green or red)
- 1 lb candied pineapple
- 1⁄4 lb citron (I use 8 oz. mixed fruit)
- 12 ounces brazil nuts (cut each whole nut into 5 pcs.)
- 2 lbs pecans
- 2 (15 ounce) boxes raisins (1 golden and 1 dark, I use both golden)
- 1⁄2 lb dates, cut up
- 2 cups butter, at room temperature
- 3 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 10 large eggs or 12 eggs, if eggs are small, at room temperature
- 1 cup wine (Morgan David Blackberry Royal)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour (sift flour with the following spices --)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- Cut up fruits and nuts.
- Either soak overnight in 1 cup of wine or flour nuts and leave overnight.
- I soak fruit in wine.
- Makeup cake batter- Cream butter and sugar.
- Then add 1 egg at a time until all eggs are added.
- Then add flour.
- After beating batter good, pur batter into pan with nuts and fruit and mix well.
- Line pan with brown paper sack or wax paper.
- Just line the bottom of the pan.
- Grease paper with oil.
- Bake 1 1/2 to 2 hours at 250 degrees.
- My cakes took 4 hours.
- Check cakes after 1 1/2 hours to see if cakes are light brown.
- Cakes should bake until darker.
- When cakes are done cool on rack in pan.
- Use knife on sides to loosen after cakes cool.
- Soak cheese cloth with wine and place on cakes.
- Wrap cakes and store in cool place.
- Cakes should be soaked 3 or 4 times.
A very good recipe ---Always like trying different types of fruitcake this time of year. Yours was very good.