Recipe by Aroostook
This recipe came from an old Farm Journal. It makes one large impressive dark fruitcake or two loaf-style fruitcakes !
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup grape juice or 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups raisins
- 1⁄2 lb cut up candied pineapple
- 1⁄2 lb whole candied cherry
- 1 1⁄4 cups snipped dates or 1 1⁄4 cups any dried fruit
- 1⁄2 cup citron (optional)
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 3⁄4 cups pecan pieces or 1 3⁄4 cups walnut pieces
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Separate eggs.
- Beat yolks with molasses and juice.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add yolk mixture to creamed mixture and blend.
- Combine fruits and nuts; mix with 1 cup flour to coat.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Sift remaining 1 cup flour with spices.
- and baking soda.
- Beat egg whites until peaks form and fold into creamed mixture.
- **Cut cooking time in half to 1 hour for loaf pans.
- Gently stir in fruit/nuts and dry ingredients.
- Pour into a 9" tube pan that has been well greased, lined with brown paper and greased again.
- Reduce heat to 300 degrees F and bake for 2 hours.
- Put on rack to cool.
- Wrap in foil and store in a cool place.