Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 22 mins
Another one to have handy by the grill or simply on the table. It is very easy to convert this recipe to "low sodium" by using no-salt-added ketchup, reduced-sodium chili sauce, and low-sodium Worcestershire sauce.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large apple, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons anise seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 8 fluid ounces ketchup
- 8 fluid ounces bottled chili sauce
- 2 fluid ounces apple juice or 2 fluid ounces apple cider
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil, and cook the onion and apple over medium heat until they are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the anise seeds and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add the celery seeds and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the mustard, and then add the ketchup, chili sauce, apple juice, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and honey.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until lightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Will last for several weeks refrigerated in airtight containers.
This was excellent. Different. Kind of a fruity Asian flavor. I used it on BBQ chicken and will try in on a pork loin next time. If u like sweet fruit marinades, this one is worth a try.