Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe came from a story in Oprah's magazine. I have made it dozens of times, and love its simplicity. The recipe suggests using tart plums, ripe peaches, or Granny Smith apples. I have also had success using frozen mixed berries and fresh pears, as well as the suggested fruits. It is very adaptable! I bake this in a deep-dish glass pie plate.
- 1 1⁄4 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided (or margarine)
- 10 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 lb fruit, sliced (fresh or frozen)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°F Grease a 9-inch round pan.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a small bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, melt 6 tablespoons butter over low heat. Stir in 6 tablespoons sugar and let cool 10 minutes.
- Add egg to butter/sugar mix, stir well.
- Stir in flour mix, spread dough in pan with the back of a spoon.
- Arrange fruit slices in a circle filling in to the center, press lightly into the dough.
- Drizzle fruit with lemon juice and sprinkle with remaining 4 tablespoons sugar.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and dot with remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until fork inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack and serve warm or at room temperature.
Nice and easy dessert. We enjoyed this cake for an after lunch and dinner treat. I used apples. We do have a really sweet tooth and DH thought this could be more sweet. Maybe it was my apples. I would like to try with peaches. Thank you Susiecat for a easy dessert. Made for Aus Swap #22.
This cake deserved 10 stars!!! It is real easy to make and so versatile because you can use whatever fruit you have on hand!! Made it with some fresh blueberries and brought it to my brother's - we ate almost the whole thing!!! Thanks Susiecat! :)
Very easy and so good. My picture does not do this justice. I used peeled granny smith apples and can't wait to try other fruit. Made fdor ZWT 4. Thank you.