Top Review by Julie B's Hive
If not for the shells tasting like a cheez-it cracker this would have been a five-star. The filling was wonderful and I'll be making it again but using a regular tart crust. I did omit the grated cheese topping. TFS
CHEESE TART SHELLS
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 5 ounces American cheese spread, 1 Jar
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 navel oranges, Peel & Section
- 1 (8 1/4 ounce) can pineapple, Crushed
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, Sharp, Shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- CHEESE TART SHELLS:
- Combine the shortening and cheese spread in a medium bowl.
- Cut flour into the cheese mixture with two knives until well blended.
- Shape into a roll 1 1/4-inch in diameter and 12 inches long.
- Wrap completely in waxed paper or plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or longer.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and unwrap.
- Slice 1/8-inch thick.
- Using 12 (2 3/4-inch) muffin cups or 3-inch tart pans, place 1 slice of dough in the bottom of each.
- Overlap 5 slices around the outside of each.
- Gently press together.
- Pierce the bottoms and sides with a fork.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven until lightly browned.
- Cool in the pans on a rack and gently remove the shells when cold to the touch.
- Cut each orange section into 3 pieces and set aside.
- Drain the pineapple, reserving the syrup.
- Combine the pineapple syrup, orange juice, and lemon juice in a saucepan.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients except the cheddar cheese, and cook, stirring gently, over medium heat until the mixture thickens and bubbles.
- Stir in the orange pieces and pineapple.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Spoon the chilled filling into the baked tart shells and sprinkle each tart with about 1 Tbls of the cheddar cheese.
- Refrigerate until serving time.