Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This delicious, easy to make recipe is an adaptation to an original recipe found in "MOOSEWOOD RESTAURANT COOKS AT HOME" I bake it off to crisp up the outside and heat up the filling. BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVERBAKE!
- 4 slices challah, about 1 inch thick (You can use Italian or French if you'd like)
- 4 tablespoons fruit spread, of your choice
- 4 tablespoons mascarpone cheese or 4 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly ground, if possible)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut a pocket in each slice of bread by using a serrated knife to cut to about a half inch of the sides& bottom of each slice.
- Mix together the fruit spread& cheese& fill pockets with a tbsp of the fruit/cheese mixture each.
- Mix the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon& nutmeg together in a bowl or baking pan large enough to hold all the slices in a single layer.
- Soak the slices on one side for a few minutes, repeat once with the other side.
- Heat a large fry pan on med/low heat and add 1 tsp each of the butter& oil.
- Cook the bread two at a time for approx. 5-7 minutes; turn the slices a number of times until both sides are evenly browned.
- Place on baking sheet in oven for 2-3 minutes to finish. DON'T OVERBAKE!
- Meanwhile, repeat steps 5, 6 & 7 with the remaining slices.
- Serve warm& top with pure maple syrup. These are also delicious plain.
This is very good. I do like the method of putting it into the oven for a few minutes. That makes a world of difference. I used cream cheese mixed with apricot fruit spred and topped it off with warmed maple syrup. The recipe says it feeds 2 but DH and I will happily be having leftovers.
This is my new favorite!! I like the fruit topping on French Toast, but don't like it 'cold'. Now I can have WARM topping! I used FF ricotta and cream cheese mixed with a home made strawberry filling over sourdough bread. I added more strawberry topping before serving. This is fantastic, Thank you for posting!