Recipe by wildeyeris
My mother has had this recipe for years and it is very easy to make. She said she got it from a magazine a long time ago. Prep time includes hours in fridge.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- jam, any flavor will do. (we like apricot or raspberry.)
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 -2 teaspoon milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Put the flour, sour cream and butter in a large zip lock bag. Mix until combined. Let sit in the refrigerator overnight, or put in the freezer for 1 ½ hours.
- After the dough is well chilled, divide into four parts.
- Flour work surface.
- Take one part and roll into a fat snake like shape with hands.
- Then with a rolling pin, roll into a rectangle about 1/8 inch thick.
- Spread jam evenly onto dough, leaving an small edge without jam.
- Roll up like a jelly roll.
- Press seams together and seal.
- Lay seam side down on a cookie sheet.
- With a sharp knife, cut slits across the strudel in a diagonal pattern.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- To make icing, combine the powdered sugar and milk. You want it to be thick.
- While strudel is still warm, drizzle powdered sugar mixture over strudel.
- Cut into bite size servings to serve.
- Feel free to add nuts with the jam.