Prep 35 mins
Cook 6 mins
Kids love this recipe for an after school snack or for breakfast. I also serve it as a dessert in a bowl over a small scoop of vanilla ice cream with the chips on the edges. This is a light and healthy recipe that I found on recipe-a-day.com
- 2 medium granny smith apples, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
- 3 medium kiwi, peeled and chopped
- 1 small orange
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple jelly, melted
- 8 8-inch flour tortillas
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- In a large bowl, toss the chopped apples with the lemon juice.
- Add the strawberries and the kiwi.
- Grate about one tablespoon of orange peel (not the bitter white pith) into the fruit.
- Slice the orange in half and squeeze out about 3 tablespoons of the orange juice into the fruit mixture-- no seeds please.
- Stir in the brown sugar, and the jelly.
- Set aside.
- Brush the tortillas with a tiny bit of water to allow the sugar and cinnamon to stick.
- Mix the granulated sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle on the tortillas, turning to cover both sides.
- Cut each tortilla into 8 equal wedges.
- Place all the wedges on a greased baking sheet or sheets, in a single layer Bake in a preheatedd 400 degree oven for 6 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool until crisp, then serve with the apple salsa.
I made this to take to a party, and it took some heavy guarding for it to make it out of my house. I guess I'll have to keep a bowl of this around - it's the only time I've ever seen my husband really pig out on fruit. Completely, totally heavenly.
Wish I could give this more stars. I made this as an after-summer-school snack today for the kids and they just loved it. I used cinnamon-sugar greek pita chips (available here) instead of making the tortilla chips, which made it even easier. This is a definite repeat for us!
Great way to get kids to eat fruit - my kids really don't enjoy fruit but they gobbled this up. I used leftover cherry jelly instead of apple jelly - I liked the extra red and the flavour did not overpower the other fruits. Also served this with whipped cream which I really enjoyed. I did use "old whole wheat tortilla wraps" which worked well (and helped me clean up my fridge!!)