Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
The tiny specs of fresh vanilla bean in the syrup really add great flavor to all this wonderful fruit. Please feel free to substitute different fresh fruit that might be in season for any of the fruit I have listed here!
- 1⁄2 pint blueberries
- 1⁄2 pint strawberry, halved
- 1 mango, pitted, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 -2 kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 lb red seedless grapes
- 1 ruby grapefruits, segmented, juice reserved for syrup
- 1 cup honeydew melon, cubed
- 1 cup cantaloupe, cubed
- 1 cup pineapple, cubed
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- Using a knife, scrape the vanilla seeds from the pod, and place seeds and pod into a saucepan.
- Add the water, sugar, and grapefruit juice.
- If you were unable to find a ruby red grapefruit, please adjust the amount of sugar according to your taste.
- If it’s not a ruby red, you might need some more.
- Bring liquid to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thickened into syrup, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool, remove the pod, and place vanilla syrup in refrigerator until chilled.
- Add prepared fruit into a bowl and toss with the chilled vanilla syrup.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
This was such a hit at our brunch today (Easter). I am so glad I splurged for the Vanilla Bean. Here are the fruits I did: Bottom/Layer 1: Strawberries Layer 2: Mangoes 3: Blackberries 4: Kiwi Fruits 5: Blueberries with more Strawberries in center. Top Layer- Ring of Strawberries with Blackberries in center (Garnish). I also used 3/4 Cup of sugar and 3/4 Cup of water to increase the syrup. Half a Vanilla Bean because the one I bought was SO large. The grapefruit was so nice in the syrup. Everyone just raved about the presentation and the taste. This is a keeper. I will upload my picture, footed truffle bowl.
The flavour was fine but not spectacular. I made this with fresh peeled and sliced, in season peaches and sliced banana. I tried this twice in half the amount and both times the syrup got too thick so be careful with that! I added halal vanilla bean paste (vanilla bean flecks in it, no alcohol, from the health food store) after simmering. The syrup did improve in flavour overnight refrigerated. I did not use the grapefruit juice as I didn't think it is required but that probably would have improved the flavour for me.
Absolutely Fabulous!!!! I really loved the syrup!!! Adding the grapefruit juice to it gave it a really wonderful depth of flavor and the vanilla bean is just to die for on fruit!!! I picked fruits that were fresh at my store and that I thought would go well with vanilla. I used pears, blackberries, kiwi, strawberries, and mango. Served with a scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt and it was a hit, thanks!!!!