The tiny specs of fresh vanilla bean in the syrup really add great flavor to all this wonderful fruit. Please feel free to substitute different fresh fruit that might be in season for any of the fruit I have listed here!
- 1⁄2 pint blueberries
- 1⁄2 pint strawberry, halved
- 1 mango, pitted, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 -2 kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 lb red seedless grapes
- 1 ruby grapefruits, segmented, juice reserved for syrup
- 1 cup honeydew melon, cubed
- 1 cup cantaloupe, cubed
- 1 cup pineapple, cubed
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- Using a knife, scrape the vanilla seeds from the pod, and place seeds and pod into a saucepan.
- Add the water, sugar, and grapefruit juice.
- If you were unable to find a ruby red grapefruit, please adjust the amount of sugar according to your taste.
- If it’s not a ruby red, you might need some more.
- Bring liquid to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thickened into syrup, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool, remove the pod, and place vanilla syrup in refrigerator until chilled.
- Add prepared fruit into a bowl and toss with the chilled vanilla syrup.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.