Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
This is a special dessert from today's Thursday magazine for children that combines fruits, custard sauce and coconut fingers. Do I hear the kids say, "Hey Mummy, this is "Yummy" for my Tummy!?!
Top Tweak by Charishma_Ramchandani
I made this this evening and served it for dessert tonight - "mmmmmmmmmmmm" :) The only change in ingredient was I used non-fat milk instead of the full cream one for a lower-fat substitutuion. It's a very tasty dessert and must be served chilled. Tastes yummmmmm!
For the fruit salad
- 3 cups mixed fruit, finely chopped (apple, banana, mango, peaches, seedless grapes, etc.)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon mango essence
For the custard sauce
- 6 cups whole milk
- 8 tablespoons vanilla custard powder
- 8 tablespoons sugar
For coconut fingers
- 1 tablespoon butter, for greasing
- 6 slices bread
- 1⁄2 cup condensed milk
- 6 tablespoons coconut, grated
- 1⁄2 cup seedless pomegranate
- 3 -5 cherries
Directions See How It's Made
- For the fruit salad: Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Refrigerate until served.
- For the custard sauce: Mix custard powder, sugar and 1 cup milk into a mixture, free of lumps.
- Keep aside.
- In a deep glass dish, microwave leftover milk on HIGH for 5 minutes uncovered.
- Stir once in between.
- Add custard solution, mix and microwave on medium (50 percent) for 7 minutes uncovered.
- Stir once in between.
- Cool the mixture and refrigerate until served.
- Coconut fingers: Remove the brown edges of the bread and cut them into 2 lengthwise.
- Arrange them on a greased ceramic plate on high-rack and grill for 5 minutes.
- Turn over the bread slices.
- Spread condensed milk followed by grated coconut on the soft side of each piece.
- Grill further for 5 minutes.
- Allow standing time of 2 minutes.
- Cool and keep airtight.
- To Serve: Take a serving bowl.
- Put into it, 4 tbsp.
- of fruit salad.
- Add 1/2 cup custard sauce.
- Mix extremely well.
- Garnish with 1 tbsp.
- pomegranate, top with a cherry and an inserted coconut finger per portion.
- Serve this dream dessert chilled.
- Alternatively, slice a few pieces of your favourite vanilla cake, top it with the custard sauce and cherries.
- Serve chilled.
- Tip: For a creamy and smooth custard sauce, one must always pass it through a sieve before refrigeration.