Recipe by Rita~
Christopher Williams, BellaOnline's Greek Food Editor http://www.greek-recipe.com/ancient-fruit-salad/
Top Review by gingersnap
My grandma used to give us champagne and nectarines and I loved that but this is so much bettter! I love the almonds with the fruit. I did substitute the peaches for nectarines since I don't like peaches but didn't change anything else. Thanks for a great recipe.
- 1 honeydew melon
- 2 ripe peaches, pit removed and cut in to 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 pears, cored and cut in to 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 bunch red seedless grapes, removed from the stems
- 1⁄2 cup chopped almonds
- 1⁄2 cup yellow grapes
- 2 glasses dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the melon in half and remove the flesh carefully so as to leave the rind intact allowing it to be used as a pair of bowls.
- Cut the removed melon flesh into 1-inch pieces.
- In a large bowl mix the fruit and the almonds. Divide the mixture between the two melon rinds.
- In a small pan mix the honey and wine (or grape juice) and heat over a low flame stirring until the honey is dissolved.
- Pour the honeyed wine over the fruit in the two melon halves.
- Refrigerate the whole for about an hour prior to serving.