Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Fresh fruit served in a cantaloupe bowl makes a refreshing dessert for a casual dinner or barbeque.
Make and share this Fruit Salad in a Cantaloupe Basket recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cantaloupe, halved (see step 1 & 2 if using shell for basket. If not using shell, seed melon now)
- 1⁄2 honeydew melon, seeded
- 1⁄4 cup superfine sugar or 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange-flavored liqueur (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries or 1 cup raspberries or 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup seedless black grapes or 1 cup red seedless grapes
- Using a non-toxic marker, draw a zigzag pattern on the cantaloupe.
- Cut deeply into the melon along the pattern.
- Separate the halves and seed.
- Use a melon baller to scoop the flesh from the cantaloupe and honeydew into balls.
- Set aside.
- In a large glass or ceramic bowl, combine the sugar, lime juice, orange liqueur and lime peel.
- Stir well until sugar is dissolved.
- Add the melon balls, berries and grapes.
- Toss gently to combine.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to blend flavours, stirring a couple of times.
- Spoon the fruit mixture into the hollowed out melon halves or into serving bowls.
- Serve immediately.
Simply wonderful. I used Grand Marnier, so my "dressing" was oh-so-mellow. I would have added some whole strawberries to garnish, but the red grapes also added quite a bit of red accent, so extra strawberries were unnecessary. I vote for the orange-flavored liqueur! Thanks for posting this recipe, Dreamer! Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders Tag.
I like the idea of the melon bowls, but didn't use them this time around! Also omitted the liqueur but did include a rounded teaspoon EACh of lemon, lime & orange! And, since I don't always like picking & choosing, I used a 1/2 cup EACH of strawberries, raspberries AND blueberries, as well as 3/4 cup of red grapes AND 1/2 cup of some very small, very tasty green grapes that were bought at a roadside stand here in the desert! This is REALLY AN OUTSTANDING SALAD, & a recipe that's worth keeping around! [Tagged, made & reviewed for a teammate in our vegan group in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap]
Wonderful fruit salad and so pretty. The lime flavor gave this a little zing which I appreciated. It was very easy to make the little cantalope basket. I subbed watermelon for the honeydew, which I just don't care for. I also used fresh blueberries and the red seedless grapes.