This is my absolute favorite fruit salad. When I take it to church, the bowl is always left clean and nobody knows it's not made with sugar. It's such an easy way to get my fruit fill for the day. This can be used as a diabetic diet fruit exchange; 1 fruit exchange for this is one cup. NOTE: You should use as much fresh fruit as possible. The only thing from a can is pineapple and peaches (and cherries - fresh cherries don't work for this). This salad also should not be prepared until right before serving if at all possible. Refrigerate all the fruit except the bananas. Cooking time is chill time.
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 (20 ounce) canned peaches, drained and cut into chunks
- 1 small maraschino cherry, cut in half (reserve juice)
- 2 oranges, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 cups strawberries, quartered
- 3 kiwi fruits, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 mangoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium gala apples, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced thin
- 2 cups white grapes, halved
- 2 cups black grapes, halved
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup Splenda granular
- 2 tablespoons cherry juice
- Place all the fruit in a large bowl.
- Depending upon how much juice you want in the salad, pour the Splenda on top of the fruit, 1/2 cup for more juice, 1/4 cup for less.
- Add the cherry juice and stir to mix fruit and distribute the Splenda and cherry juice.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Right before serving, slice the banana thin and stir into the salad, redistributing the juice.
- This can be served with angel food cake, pound cake, or by itself.
I gave this 5 stars. My family loves fruit salad. I serve this in the summer with dinner. I make mine slightly different. All fresh cut fruit no canned. No cherries, kiwi, splenda or cherry juice. But I think it sound yummy this way. Can't wait for summer to try this your way. Thanks for posting a great recipe! Christine (internetnut)
I made this last weekend for a small family get together. Everyone enjoyed it. Fresh fruit is always good and I loved this combination. I did leave out the splenda as I thought it was sweet enough with all the fruit and maraschino cherry juice. Thanks for a great recipe!
This was very good. In fact I had my very first taste of a couple fruits because of this. I had never had a kiwi, a mango, or a real blueberry before. Thank you for giving me a reason to try them.