Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A lovely, sweet fruit salad dressing from the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1⁄2-1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- Mix sugar, flour and salt together.
- Add water and blend.
- Pour into pineapple juice and cook for ten minutes over low heat, stirring frequently until slightly thickened.
- Pour over egg, stirring rapidly; return to heat and cook for 3 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice; cool in the refrigerator.
- When ready to serve, thin with plain or whipped cream to desired consistency.
- *Variation: Omit water, use 2 egg yolks instead of a whole egg and only 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Add 1/4 cup butter.