Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
My Mother made this salad for every Thanksgiving and Christmas Dinners. I remember looking forward to this the most, as a kid, as I loved the marshmallows and the fruit. My Mom made a big bowl of this and added shredded coconut to half of it and left the other without for those of us non-coconut lovers. This is so quick and easy yet so tasty and refreshing, especially with a big heavy holiday meal. I also found out that this is a common Hawaiian Luau side dish. Time does not include chilling time.
- 2 (8 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained
- 3 bananas, sliced
- 1 (12 ounce) bag miniature marshmallows
- 16 ounces sour cream, container
- 1 (6 ounce) can maraschino cherries, sliced and drained (optional)
- shredded coconut (optional)
- Drain all cans of fruit.
- In a large bowl add drained fruit, marshmallows, sour cream and coconut if using. Mix well to combine.
- Refrigerate for at least 6 hours, overnight if possible. This allows the juices to blend with the marshmallows and sour cream.
- One hour before serving, slice bananas and add to rest of the fruit, stir to combine.
- If it seems to dry add a little more sour cream.
My mom added chopped walnuts.. Awesome addition.. Enjoy..
I was a bit iffy on using sour cream but this ended up being the best ambrosia salad I have ever had! The first time I used the bananas but I could not even taste them. The second time was apples but it was the wrong consistency. The third time was the charm with a cup of diced strawberries. This recipe is definetely a favorite of mine
This was like a trip to the holidays at my grandma's! Cool, comforting, and delicious. I waited to fold in the bananas until serving & sprinkled with toasted coconut (just because that's how my grandma did it.) Thanks for reminding me of the recipe! Made for ZWT7.