Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 mins
This creamy fruit salad was served at a family reunion a number of years ago. Flaked coconut or chopped walnuts be substituted for the maraschino cherries. Also, sliced fresh fruit may be added to the salad, if desired (see note).
- 1 (3 ounce) package vanilla pudding mix (Cook & Serve Pudding Mix)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained (RESERVE JUICE)
- 1 (12 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained (RESERVE JUICE)
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup maraschino cherry, well drained (Cut cherries into halves or quarters)
- Pour the pineapple juice into a 1-cup measuring cup. If the pineapple juice does not equal 1-cup, then add mandarin orange juice until the cup is full.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the dry pudding mix with the 1 cup of reserved pineapple juice; stir well.
- Microwave the pudding mixture on HIGH for 3 to 4 minutes until the mixture thickens and boils, stirring once during cooking. After the pudding boils, add the pineapple and mandarin oranges.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours to chill .
- Prior to serving mix in the bananas and maraschino cherries (coconut or walnuts may be substituted for the cherries) Fresh fruit may be added at this time, if desired (see note).
- NOTE: Feel free to add sliced, fresh fruit (about 2 cups or so) to the pineapple-orange pudding mixture.