Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe was given to my mother at a bridal shower in 1947. It has since become a family treasure. I once got a call from my Daughter in Scotland asking for this recipe. It was originally done with sour cherries, but sour cherries are a rare commodity here in New England so I've had to push the envelope a bit. I've done it with blueberries, peaches, blueberries and peaches, blackberries, strawberries, and raspberries and it's been wonderful with all of them, though with just peaches it needs a bit of lemon juice to compensate for the extra sweetness. Try this you won't be disappointed.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 cups sliced fruit
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup hot water or 1 cup juice
- Mix the dry ingredients with the butter in a food processor and run until the mix is smooth and crumbly.
- Add the milk and run to blend.
- Spread in the bottom of an 8x8 baking pan.
- Spread the fruit over it.
- Sprinkle with sugar to taste.
- Pour the hot water or juice over the whole thing.
- Bake st 375 F for 40 minutes.
- Serve warm or cool with cream.
One of my favourites!