Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I looove paella...here's a nice one without seafood (gasp, but you can certainly add some if you like. I like to serve with Macadamia Nut Chicken. Shrimp and/or smoked sausage also works really well.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 stalks lemongrass, crushed
- 2 cups jasmine rice or 2 cups arborio rice
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped gingerroot
- 2 large red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 cup water chestnut, diced
- 1 small pineapple, diced
- 1 large star fruit, sliced
- 1 medium papaya, diced
- 1 medium mango, diced
- 2 tablespoons rum
- Place rice in sieve and rinse under cold water until water runs clear.
- Drain well.
- In a saucepan heat the 1/4 cup olive oil and saute onion until softened.
- Add the lemongrass, rice and salt, stir well.
- Add broth, stir, cover and cook for 12-16 minutes over medium heat until rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove and discard the lemongrass.
- Saute garlic and ginger in remaining olive oil in a separate pan for about 4 to 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add red bell pepper, water chestnuts, and fruits and saute lightly for 2 minutes until heated through.
- Add rum and cook 1 minute.
- Toss with rice mixture and serve.