Recipe by michelles3boys
This recipe is from Easy Home Cooking, Slow Cooker recipe book. What better combination than apples with brown sugar, cinnamon and nuts. This recipe is a little different from others here, because it calls for dried apricots in the brown sugar mixture. Your house will smell divine when these are cooking!
Top Review by NorthwestGal
This was positively a wonderful dish, in fact it was OMG good. I got up extra early and made these before anyone else was awake, and I served them for breakfast. And what a treat they were. I used pecans (only because they were the first I found in my pantry), but I could see other nuts being just as good in this recipe. The filling inside the cooked apples was so delicious though, and both my kids really enjoyed it. It would be even excellent as a dessert dish. Thank you for sharing your recipe, michelles3boys.
- 4 large baking apples (Rome or Cortland)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄3 cup pecans
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Scoop out the center of each apple, leaving about 1/2 inch of the bottom.
- Peel top of apple down about 1 inch.
- Brush peeled edges with lemon juice.
- Mix apricots, nuts, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Add melted butter and mix well.
- Spoon mixture evenly into apple cavities.
- Pour 1/2 cup of water into the bottom of slow cooker.
- Arrange apples in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW 3-4 hours, or until apples are tender.
- (optional) Serve warm with caramel ice cream topping.