Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from the book 'Dorling Kindersley's Classic Home Cooking by MaryBerry and Marlena Spieter". I can't wait for the first day of the 2004 summer to give this a go! I'm SURE this is AWESOME! Cooking time is chilling time.
- 750 g ripe melon (with different coloured flesh)
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- mint sprig, to garnish
- 6 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- black pepper
- Cut the melons in half.
- Remove and discard the seeds.
- Using a melon baller, cut balls from the flesh of each half into a bowl or cut into neat cubes.
- Peel tomatoes, then cut out the cores and score an"x" on the base of each one.
- Immerse in a bowl of boiling water until the skin starts to split.
- Transfer immediately to a bowl of cold water.
- Peel and seed the tomatoes.
- Cut the flesh into long strips.
- Add the strips to the melon.
- Make the dressing by whisking together all the ingredients listed under"dressing".
- Pour the dressing over the melon and tomato mixture.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid and chill for atleast an hour.
- To serve, stir the mint leaves into the melon and tomato mixture.
- Spoon the salad into chilled bowls.
- Garnish with fresh sprigs of mint and serve this beautiful fresh, colourful and healthy salad with a big smile like Santa's!