Recipe by Chef mariajane
This is a fantastic dessert square for any occasion!! Don't panic if the phyllo tears: while it's quite fragile, it's also forgiving. Just patch it back together when layering the sheets. No one will ever know!!
- 1 (150 g) packagenut & seed trail mix
- 2 cups dried fruit (Dried and Sweetened Five Fruit Medley)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (454 g) package phyllo pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 (500 g) jar honey, liquid
- 3⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Light grease a 9x13 baking dish or pan. Cut phyllo sheets in half crosswise to fit in pan. Cover phyllo with a lightly dampened tea towel to prevent drying out.
- Combine trail mix, dried fruits, sugar,and cinnamon in a food processor. Finely chop. Set aside.
- Gently lay a piece of phyllo pastry in pan and brush with melted butter. Repeat with 7 more sheets of phyllo. Brushing each sheet with melted butter.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of nuts and fruit mixture over phyllo, cover with 2 more sheets of phyllo pastry, brushing each sheet with butter. Repeat this of sprinkling the nut mixture, then 2 sheets of buttered phyllo pastry until all the nut mixture is used.
- Top with the final 8 individual buttered phyllo sheets. With a sharp knife, cut into 40 equal squares. Bake until edges are crisp and top is golden brown, 30-35 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine honey and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer gently for 7 minutes or until slightly thickened. Let cool.
- Spoon cooled syrup over hot baklava and let cool for at least 4 hours. Garnish with some finely chopped nuts, if desired.