Chef mariajane's Note:
This is a fantastic dessert square for any occasion!! Don't panic if the phyllo tears: while it's quite fragile, it's also forgiving. Just patch it back together when layering the sheets. No one will ever know!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F Light grease a 9x13 baking dish or pan. Cut phyllo sheets in half crosswise to fit in pan. Cover phyllo with a lightly dampened tea towel to prevent drying out.
- 2Combine trail mix, dried fruits, sugar,and cinnamon in a food processor. Finely chop. Set aside.
- 3Gently lay a piece of phyllo pastry in pan and brush with melted butter. Repeat with 7 more sheets of phyllo. Brushing each sheet with melted butter.
- 4Sprinkle a thin layer of nuts and fruit mixture over phyllo, cover with 2 more sheets of phyllo pastry, brushing each sheet with butter. Repeat this of sprinkling the nut mixture, then 2 sheets of buttered phyllo pastry until all the nut mixture is used.
- 5Top with the final 8 individual buttered phyllo sheets. With a sharp knife, cut into 40 equal squares. Bake until edges are crisp and top is golden brown, 30-35 minutes.
- 6In a small saucepan, combine honey and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer gently for 7 minutes or until slightly thickened. Let cool.
- 7Spoon cooled syrup over hot baklava and let cool for at least 4 hours. Garnish with some finely chopped nuts, if desired.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fruit 'n' Nut Baklava
Serving Size: 1 (2041 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 165.7
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 12.2 mg
- Sodium 66.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 1.6 g