Recipe by Sweet Diva MJ
I used to work for a doctor's office many years ago and got this recipe off of a calendar. They are packed with fruit - makes a lot and freeze well. **PLEASE NOTE** If you substitute store-bought wheat flour for the all-purpose, you do not need to add the additional amount of flour - just use the same amount as all-purpose, or half all-purpose and half wheat.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour or 5 cups freshly ground soft wheat flour or 5 cups oat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 (17 ounce) can apricots, drained and coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon oat bran
- 1 1⁄4 cups mashed bananas (4 med.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400*.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, and baking soda.
- In a med.-sized bowl, stir together egg whites, oil, banana, buttermilk, apricots and raisins.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid ingredients; do not over mix.
- Spoon batter into prepared tins, sprinkle oat bran on top.
- Bake for 25- 30 minute or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Yield: 30 servings.