Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is great on venison deer and all game. also great on meat pies. We made this at home and I grew up with this. Men seem to love this and it is really much more elegant than ketchup at dinner.
- 10 lbs tomatoes
- 10 pears
- 10 peaches
- 2 green peppers
- 6 large onions
- 1 quart white vinegar
- 2 lbs brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 box pickling spices
- sugar ("My mother used white sugar")
- 10 apples (optional)
- Wash, peel,and dice the fruit and vegetables.
- Put vinegar, salt and sugar in large stainless steel or enamel pot.
- Heat to melt sugar.
- Remove from stove.
- Tie the spices in a cheesecloth bag.
- Add the fruit, vegetables and spices.
- Bring to a boil and simmer 1 1/2 hour stirring frequently.
- Pour into sterilized pint jars, and process for 10 minutes.