Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
This is awesome--great for Christmas dinner, or just to impress.
- 1⁄3 cup dried apricot
- 1 cup water
- 3 leaves silver beet
- 800 g ground lamb
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup sultana
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten (med-lge)
- 1⁄3 cup prune
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly grease a sheet of foil 45cm wide x 60cm long. Soak apricots in water for 1 hour. Drain apricots, reserve liquid. Cut away white stems from silverbeet. Bring a large saucepan of water to boil, add leaves, cook for 1 minute; drain. Rinse leaves under cold water until cool; drain well.
- Combine lamb mince, onion, spring onion, sultanas, mint, egg and cream in bowl; mix well. Slightly overlap silverbeet on foil to make 32cm x 40cm rectangle. Spread mince mixture over silver-beet.
- Place apricots and prunes down one long side of mince mixture. Roll up from long side into a log shape; twist ends of foil. Place on an oven tray. Cook in a moderate oven 350°F (180°C) for about 45 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Thicken reserved water from apricots with two or three teaspoons of cornflour. To serve; Cut roll into slices and pour fruit sauce over it. To give extra flavour to sauce you could finely chop a couple of the soaked apricots into it.