Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is the traditional dessert at my community's Swedish smorgasbord. It's a sweet thin-set pudding served with milk or cream. I like this made with grape or any dark red berry juice. From my Grandma's "Swedish Food" cookbook.
- 1 1⁄2 cups fruit juice or 1 1⁄2 cups berry juice
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- slivered almonds, garnish
- Bring juice, water and sugar to boil.
- Mix cornstarch with a small amount of cold water.
- Remove saucepan from heat and whisk in cornstarch.
- Return to heat and bring to boiling point.
- Simmer 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove to serving bowl, cover and chill.
- Garnish with almonds if desired and serve with cream or milk.
This is a bit of a prereview as my pudding has not fully set. I made mine with one of those carb control cranberry juices and splenda. Added the Splenda after cooking which experience says is best. Tastes wonderful but has a slight brownish color so I added 2 drops of red food coloring to make it appear a bit brighter. Looking forward to this guilt-free treat.