Recipe by Redsie
From BHG's New Dieter's Cookbook. If you don't have buttermilk, you can replace by sour milk (2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in 2/3 cup milk - mix and let stand 5 minutes before using).
Top Review by CoffeeB
These are a nice little muffin w/relatively little work in putting together. I chose to use 3/4 cup whole wheat flour and 3/4 cup all-purpose. Also, used Splenda sugar in place of regular. I used Smucker's Low-Sugar Apricot Preserves for my jam of choice using 1 heaping teaspoon in each. A virtually guilt-free muffin:-) Made for 123Hits~
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1⁄4 cup apricot jam or 1⁄4 cup peach jam or 1⁄4 cup raspberry jam
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat twelve muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray or line with paper bake cups; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together buttermilk, egg and oil. Add buttermilk mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy).
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about one-fourth full. Place 1 teaspoon of the spreadable fruit in center of each. Add remaining batter.
- Bake in 400F oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups. Serve warm.