Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
Perfect for 2
- 4 slice Italian bread (stale, about 4 inches in diameter and sliced 1 inch thick) or 4 slice French bread (stale, about 4 inches in diameter and sliced 1 inch thick) or 4 slice challah (stale, about 4 inches in diameter and sliced 1 inch thick)
- 59.16 ml fruit spread, any flavor
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 118.29 ml milk
- 4.92 ml pure vanilla extract
- 1.23 ml cinnamon
- 9.85 ml butter
- 9.85 ml vegetable oil
- plain yogurt (optional)
- With a sharp serrated knife, cut lengthwise through each slice of bread to within 1/2 inch of the bottom and side crusts to make a pocket. Using a butter knife, fill each pocket with a generous tablespoon of fruit spread.
- In a shallow bowl that is large enough to hold the 4 bread slices in 1 layer, mix together eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Soak the bread slices 2 or 3 minutes, turning them once.
- Warm a large skillet on medium-low heat. Coat the bottom of the skillet with 1 teaspoon each of the butter and oil. Cook 2 slices of bread at a time for about 6 minutes, turning the slices several times, until both sides are nicely browned and crisp. Add the remaining teaspoon of butter and oil to the skillet and cook the final 2 slices of bread.
- Serve hot, either plain or topped with yogurt.