Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
Perfect for 2
Make and share this Fruit-Filled French Toast recipe from Food.com.
- 4 slices Italian bread (stale, about 4 inches in diameter and sliced 1 inch thick) or 4 slices French bread (stale, about 4 inches in diameter and sliced 1 inch thick) or 4 slices challah (stale, about 4 inches in diameter and sliced 1 inch thick)
- 4 tablespoons fruit spread, any flavor
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- plain yogurt (optional)
- With a sharp serrated knife, cut lengthwise through each slice of bread to within 1/2 inch of the bottom and side crusts to make a pocket. Using a butter knife, fill each pocket with a generous tablespoon of fruit spread.
- In a shallow bowl that is large enough to hold the 4 bread slices in 1 layer, mix together eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Soak the bread slices 2 or 3 minutes, turning them once.
- Warm a large skillet on medium-low heat. Coat the bottom of the skillet with 1 teaspoon each of the butter and oil. Cook 2 slices of bread at a time for about 6 minutes, turning the slices several times, until both sides are nicely browned and crisp. Add the remaining teaspoon of butter and oil to the skillet and cook the final 2 slices of bread.
- Serve hot, either plain or topped with yogurt.