Recipe by Mary Scheffert
I got this recipe a long time ago from a friend at a former job. I have since taken it in to meetings at work several times, with different variations on the fruit filling (I've even split the coffee cake by using two different flavors, such as apple on one side & cherry on the other). No matter what, this coffee cake ALWAYS disappears!
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1 -2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 can pie filling (any flavor)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat together butter (or margarine) and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add other ingredients (except pie filling)& combine thoroughly.
- Spread about 1/2 the batter in a 10x15x1" cookie sheet that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray (pan must have at least 1" sides).
- Place pie filling on top of batter; top the pie filling with remaining 1/2 of batter, spreading it out so that most of the fruit is covered.
- Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.
- Let cool in pan on wire rack.
- Frost with powdered sugar icing, if desired.