Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From the American Institute for Cancer Research via sparkpeople.com
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 cup fresh strawberries (halved or quartered depending on size) or 3⁄4 cup frozen strawberries (halved or quartered depending on size)
- 3⁄4 cup fresh raspberries or 3⁄4 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar (for garnish) or 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In mixing bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar, vanilla and salt until soft peaks form (tips of peaks will curl over when beaters are removed).
- Beat in sugar a little at a time until stiff peaks form (peaks will remain upright when beaters are removed). Sprinkle cocoa over top and fold in gently.
- Drop meringue by 1/4 cup portions onto parchment paper that has been lightly coated with cooking spray. Indent center of each with back of tablespoon.
- Bake 45 minutes or until dry to touch. Remove and cool. When completely cooled, store in air-tight container to prevent meringues from becoming soggy before serving time.
- Just prior to serving, fill center of each meringue with mixture of fruit so berries mound slightly. Lightly dust fruit with sugar to garnish. If confectioners' sugar is used, sift lightly over berries using small strainer and spoon to move sugar through strainer. This technique achieves light dusting desired.