Recipe by Dorel
Bright red and green cherries lend these fruitcake-like cookies a holiday disposition. A thin drizzle of chocolate makes them even sweeter. This recipe is from Meals.com These look great on a tray of Christmas goodies.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour, divided
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 cup chopped candied red cherries
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green glazed cherries
- 2⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- In a large bowl cream shortening and butter until well blended.
- Add 1 cup flour, sugar, eggs, baking soda and vanilla.
- Mix well.
- Stir in almonds and cherries.
- Beat until combined, then stir in remaining 1-1/4 cups flour.
- Drop batter by teaspoons 2 inches apart onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are golden.
- Cool on the baking sheet for 1 minute before transfering to wire racks. Makes 52 cookies using 1 1/2 in cookie scoop
- In a small saucepan, combine chocolate chips and the 2 teaspoons shortening.
- Cook over low heat to melt, stirring until smooth.
- Drizzle over cookies.