Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love the coconut in this recipe. Next time, I think I'll try it with nuts and coconut. Super simple dessert. Recipe courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook Prizewinning Recipes.
- 5 cups apples or 5 cups pears or 5 cups peaches (sliced and peeled) or 5 cups apricots (sliced and peeled)
- 2 -4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats (regular)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg or 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup coconut (chopped) or 1⁄4 cup nuts (chopped)
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- If fruit is frozen, thaw but do not drain.
- Place fruit in a 2-quart square baking dish.
- Stir in the granulated sugar.
- For topping, in a medium bowl combine the oats, brown sugar, flour, and nutmeg.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the nuts.
- Sprinkle topping over filling.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes (40 minutes for thawed fruit) or until fruit is tender and topping is golden.
- Cool slightly.
- Serve warm with ice cream if desired.
This is my favorite fruit crisp recipe because it's not overly sweet like some. . I like to use slivered almonds in the topping and I double the amount of cinnamon. Simple and delicious.