Recipe by Diane G.
This is something I 'created' many, many years ago when I was trying to make something out of dates that my (then) boyfriend was reluctant to eat. Very High Sugar Content.
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar, approx. (plus about a cup for rolling)
- 6 tablespoons melted margarine or 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons fruit juice (Orange Juice best but can use lemon, lime, pineapple or mango juice.)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped dried fruit (I prefer dates but can use any dried fruit)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped nuts (Walnuts or Pecans best but would work with anything)
- 1⁄3 cup flour
Directions See How It's Made
- (My favorite combination is Orange Juice with Dates and Walnuts, but also good with Cranberries and Pecans, or use mango juice with dried pineapples and macadamia nuts for a tropical taste.) Grind nuts and then also mince dried fruit very, very finely in blender or food processor.
- Set aside.
- Mix together melted margerine/butter, vanilla, juice and confectioners' sugar.
- Stir in ground nuts and fruit.
- Stir in as much of the flour as needed to make a fairly stiff dough.
- Turn dough out onto floured board and knead a few times to make sure all flour is integrated.
- Will be VERY sticky.
- Roll with floured rolling pin to about 1/2 inch thick (or as thick as desired) Cut into squares or diamonds with butter knife.
- Roll each square or diamond in powdered sugar.
- Let sit in cool spot or refrigerator until dry.