Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
I cut this out of the News & Observer here in Raleigh last spring. Since it uses fresh apples and bananas it a nice way to dress up canned fruit. I have also added grapes, just to add some color. My family really likes this fruit salad.
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 3 -4 unpeeled apples, cored and chopped
- 2 -3 bananas, peeled and sliced
- Drain pineapple RESERVING 3/4 cup juice In a saucepan, combine sugar& cornstarch.
- Add pineapple juice, orange juice and lemon juice.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Cook& stir one minute longer.
- Remove from heat: set aside.
- In a bowl, combine pineapple chunks, oranges, apples& bananas Pour warm sauce over the fruit: stir gently to coat.
- Cover& refrigerate.
Very delicious! It held up nicely--we enjoyed it with bran muffins for breakfast, took some on a picnic, and had some as a side for a light supper. My sister was visiting and she enjoyed it as well. Thanks for posting!
This easy fruit compote was a nice addition to our weekend breakfast. Will make again. Thanks Kay in NC. Bullwinkle.