Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe goes back a very long time...It's like eating vanilla cake with fruit cocktail on top, only the two are baked together...a very unique, different, and very delicious moist dessert...worth making.
- 1 (8 ounce) can fruit cocktail
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
- 1⁄3 cup coconut
- 1⁄4 cup maraschino cherry, chopped
- Set oven to 350 degrees / Grease a 9-inch square baking pan. Drain the fruit cocktail; reserve 1/3 cup of the syrup. /Add in the 1 tbsp of maraschino cherry syrup to the reserved fruit cocktail syrup. /Chop the drained fruit, and set aside. /Stir together in a bowl, the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. /In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar; beat in the egg and vanilla. /Add the remaining mixture, alternating with the syrups to the creamed mixture; mix well. /Stir in the chopped fruit, coconut and chopped cherries. /Spread dough into prepared baking pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes; cool. /Sprinkle icing sugar over top if desired.
- Sprinkle icing sugar over top if desired.