Recipe by Renee Ferraz
Found this recipe in a 1980 Bon Appetit magazine. It makes two 9x5-inch loaves.
Top Review by Jellyqueen
This is a really great recipe. I didn't have any fruit cocktail in the house, but I did have a can of the tropical blend fruit, so I just cut it up into smaller sizes and used it. It worked fine. This makes 2 really pretty loaf cakes that are really good by themselves or even better with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. Thanks for the great recipe.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup margarine, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 (17 ounce) can fruit cocktail, drained
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line 2 9x5x3-inch loaf pans with heavy foil, leaving 1/2-inch collar.
- Coat generously with margarine.
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl and blend well.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Alternately add flour and baking powder, mixing well.
- Fold in fruit cocktail and nuts.
- Divide between pans.
- Bake until tester comes out dry, about 1 hour.
- Let cool 5- 10 mins before removing from pans.
- Cool completely on rack.