Recipe by damesangrita
This is my recipe It resembles a butter pound cake except it has fruit. A light and moist pound cake, it melts in your mouth. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream...YUM!
- 2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup of softened butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons amaretto liqueur
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup fruit cocktail, juice from the can
- 1 (28 ounce) can fruit cocktail in heavy syrup, drained (collect the juice to add to milk)
- icing sugar, to garnish cake
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the softened margarine and the sugar,.
- Mix well till creamy smooth. Add one egg at a time and beat after each addition.
- In a measuring glass combine the milk, the fruit cocktail juice and the vanilla extract (or amaretto liqueur).
- In a separate mixing bowl sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Add 1/4 of the flour mix to the creamy butter mixture alternately with a little of the liquid; mix well after each addition. Keep doing this till there is no more flour or liquid left. Your cake batter should be rich and smooth/ If needed, add a tablespoon or more milk or juice--not too much, you don't want your cake watery.
- Fold in the drained fruit cocktail to your batter and mix well till all fruit is coated and not floating on top of batter.
- Pour the batter into two well greased and lightly floured loaf pans or a bundt cake pan.
- If using non-stick pans then just spray with a little oil spray.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes for loaf pans or till lightly golden brown and insert toothpick comes out clean. If baking in bundt pan, it should be about the same time.
- Remove cake from oven and let sit on cake rack. Remove cake from pans and place on serving dish.
- Put icing sugar in sieve and tap side of sieve to get a light dusting all over top of cake.
- Serve cake slices with whipped cream or ice cream, makes a yummy light dessert.
- Note: you can do a summer berry cake by adding fresh fruit like blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, diced peaches, pears, and or nectarines.
- When making the fresh berry cake use either 1/2 cup of fruit cocktail juice + 1/cup milk OR use 1 cup of milk, but if your replacing the juice with the whole cup of milk you will need to add 1/3 cup more sugar.