Prep 10 mins
Cook 11 mins
It's a recipe from my neighbor. Her kids love them. I was intrigued by the ingredients.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups drained fruit cocktail (save juice)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 1⁄2 cups nuts
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Mix shortening, sugar and eggs.
- Add fruit cocktail, vanilla, raisins and nuts.
- Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt.
- Drop by teaspoons onto greased baking sheet.
- Bake 11-12 minutes at 400°F.
- Mix powdered sugar and butter with enough of the saved juice to make a thin icing.
- Frost when cool.
I had to lessen the cooking time a bit as the bottoms kept burning, but my stove is old & unreliable, so it may have just been me. Besides that, decent cookies.
I made these in the 60's for my little ones figured they were getting their fruit and enjoying it at the same time - they are a soft cookie - worth a try.
darlene likes these cookies