Recipe by Old widow
My mother made this all the time when we were growing up. It is very sweet so a little goes a long way. Not a pretty cake but oh so good and easy to prepare. I have frozen this in precut squares and popped in the microwave for a sweet warm treat.
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (16 ounce) can fruit cocktail in syrup
- 2 1⁄3 cups coconut
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cake mix, fruit cocktail with syrup, 1 cup coconut and eggs in large bowl. Beat at medium speed with electric mixer for 2 minutes.
- Pour into greased 13x9 inch baking pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- In saucepan bring butter, sugar and milk to a boil, boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in remaining coconut. Spoon over hot cake in pan. Serve warm or cool.