Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
My mother made this all the time when we were growing up. It is very sweet so a little goes a long way. Not a pretty cake but oh so good and easy to prepare. I have frozen this in precut squares and popped in the microwave for a sweet warm treat.
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (16 ounce) can fruit cocktail in syrup
- 2 1⁄3 cups coconut
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- Combine cake mix, fruit cocktail with syrup, 1 cup coconut and eggs in large bowl. Beat at medium speed with electric mixer for 2 minutes.
- Pour into greased 13x9 inch baking pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- In saucepan bring butter, sugar and milk to a boil, boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in remaining coconut. Spoon over hot cake in pan. Serve warm or cool.
I made a small mistake and forgot to add coconut to the batter. My peeps wouldn't ban me for that. I'm the only one who knows how to work the kitchen. Delicious!
Yum! We loved this cake -- yes, it is quite sweet but that's the way my husband and son like their dessert. I don't think the cake is an "Ugly Duckling" at all. I did serve it with a sliced strawberry on top of each piece, but even without it the cake still looked nice. The only thing I would change is to next time combine the batter by hand and then use the mixer for only a few seconds so that there will be some chunks of the fruit left in the batter. I'll be making this again -- it's really good!
Used to make this alot the recipe that I have called it the "Ugly Duckling Cake" it is not pretty but sure tastes good!