This delicious cake comes together fast, starting with a cake mix. I think the flavor is very subtle, and the cake is quite moist. The original recipe had a syrupy sweet icing on it, but I added the coconut/brown sugar on top instead, and I think it makes this a nice snacking cake. (*NOTE: I used a fruit cocktail I've found that has guava, mango, etc., and found the pieces a little large, so I chopped it up a bit before adding to mixture. The regular fruit cocktail with grapes, etc., should be fine w/o that)
- Preheat to 325*.
- Combine cake mix, fruit cocktail with juices, 1 cup of coconut and eggs in a large mixer bowl.
- Blend, then beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into greased 9x13 pan, or two 8x8 pans.
- Sprinkle batter evenly with remaining 1/2 cup of coconut, and then 1/2 cup of brown sugar.
- Bake at 325* for 45 min (if 9x13 pan; about 30-35 min for two pans).
- Serve warm or room temp; stays moist for several days.