Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I adopted this delicious cake recipe from the RecipeZaar account in February 2005. The only changes I made were to add some vanilla and cut back the baking time. Be sure to top it with Fruit Cocktail Cake Icing, another of my adopted recipes.
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (15 ounce) can fruit cocktail, undrained
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Add eggs, fruit cocktail and vanilla and mix all ingredients well (by hand--do not use electric mixer); batter will seem very thick at first (if you use good fruit cocktail that has mostly fruit, not all juice), but this is the way it should be (the juice in the fruit cocktail is the only liquid in this recipe except, of course, the eggs).
- Pour into a greased 9 inch x 13 inch pan.
- Bake at 350°F for about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- This cake is best with Fruit Cocktail Cake Icing #7062.
I decided to make this to use up a can of fruit cocktail that my husband bought & then lost interest in. It was easy and tasted pretty good. It is a bit sticky. The only problem I had was that the cake sunk in the middle (I might have needed to bake it longer or my baking soda might have been stale.) I served it with some whipped topping instead of making the frosting.
A complete mess you have to drain the fruit cocktail amd just add the fruit. It was nothing but liquid ssugar and fruit cocktail.
I ask my mom to make this cake for me every year on my birthday. It is so good but it's the frosting I love the most.