Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a very moist and rich cake.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 (16 ounce) can fruit cocktail
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (1 2/3 cup) can milk
- Stir together sugar, flour, baking soda, salt eggs, and fruit, pour into a ungreased 13x9 pan.
- Combine brown sugar, nuts, and coconut; sprinkle on top cake.
- Bake at 325°F for 45-50 minutes.
- Boil for 2-3 minutes sugar, butter, vanilla and can milk.
- When cake is done pierce cake with a toothpick all over and pour milk mixture over cake while it is still hot.
- * (I have used only half of the milk mixture and it is fine also).
This turned out very different from what I was expecting, so I was disappointed at first, but this was REALLY a lovely cake. It isn't a kid favorite, but the grown-ups loved it. It stayed moist for a week. The topping is really what makes this cake. Thanks SO much for sharing this.
This is such a simple recipe. It was the first scratch cake that I ever baked back when I was about 10 years old. Mom let me make it several times whenever she was working and she wanted a dessert. As far as I'm concerned it's the only thing that a can of fruit cocktail is good for. Thanks for the memories.
This cake was superb. I have used different recipes for a fruit cocktail cake, but this was BY FAR, the best. I baked it for our prayer meeting last week and they BEGGED me to bring another one this week! Very moist (needs to be refrigerated if keeping for any period of time to keep from spoiling). EVERYONE who tried it, from kids to adults enjoyed it. Thanks for a great addition to my cookbook.