Recipe by Dib's
This recipes is from my Aunt Janet Chute-excellent summer cake!!
Top Review by mribk
I made this 50 years ago in 4-H and had lost the recipe. What a joy to find it again. I made some changes only because I didn't have the correct size can of fruit cocktail. I added 1 14.5 oz can of sugar free fruit cocktai and all the juice, one small can of mandarine oranges less about 2/3 of its juice. For a sauce I used one cup of powdered sugar, sifted; 1/4 cup orange juice and 2 TBS apricot brandy. Mixed them together, poked holes in the warm cake and drizzled the glaze over the top. I gave big samples to two different neighbors and they both called later and told me that it was excellent. What a fun and easy mix. It is almost like a fruit cocktail pudding cake when warm. Good recipe.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 well beaten eggs
- 1 (17 ounce) can fruit cocktail, juice included
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 2⁄3 cup canned evaporated milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together by hand the flour, sugar, soda, salt, eggs and fruit cocktail with juice.
- Do not over mix and do not beat.
- Pour into a 9x13 cake pan sprayed with pam.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup chopped pecans over top of cake.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Remove and place on a rack to cool.
- While cooling (15 minutes) in a medium pan bring to a slow boil the evaporated milk, sugar and butter.
- Once the butter is melted and the slow boil is reached remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- With a carving fork poke"lots" of holes in the cake and slowly pour butter sauce evenly all through cake.