1/1 Photo of Fruit Chutney (Zwt - South Africa)
2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 45 mins
This recipe was entered for ZWT & has been modified slightly. My source is: http://africhef.com/Chutney-Recipe.html. The intro is short & sweet ... "This easy South African Fruit Chutney recipe is 1 of the simplest I've come across & is well worth the slight effort taken to prepare it." (Yield & times have been estimated. Times do not include standing overnight or waiting period to mature)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb brown sugar
- 1/2 lb dried pears
- 1/2 lb dried apricot
- 1/2 lb dates
- 1/2 lb dried apple ring
- 1/2 lb sultana
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 4 cups water
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger (freshly ground)
- 1Chop all dried fruit except the sultanas.
- 2Place fruit & water in a lrg mixing bowl, cover & leave overnight.
- 3Do not drain the fruit. Add the remaining ingredients & place in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
- 4Simmer over low heat (stirring constantly) till the sugar has dissolved.
- 5Bring to a boil & then lower heat. Allow to simmer (uncovered) for approx 1 1/2 hrs or till thick, stirring occ.
- 6Pour chutney mixture into sterilized jars while still hot. Fill to ½ in below the top. Cover w/an airtight plastic lid. Do not use a metal lid because the action of the spices & vinegar will cause corrosion.
- 7Leave the chutney to mature in a cool, dark, dry place for 6-8 weeks before use.
- 8NOTE: This fruit chutney may be used in curries, almost any dish that has rice as an accompaniment & also to tasty up pasta dishes.
Browse Our Top Chutneys Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chutneys Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fruit Chutney (Zwt - South Africa)
Serving Size: 1 (3191 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4935.6
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 519.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1270.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 84.5 g
- Sugars 1117.3 g
- Protein 29.9 g