Recipe by Sydney Mike
The original of this recipe was found in the Taste of Home Holiday Recipe Card Collection 2009, & although it was listed as a 'winter' chutney, it can actually be made anytime that fresh pears are available! Especially good with poultry!
- 1⁄3 cup red onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 large tart apples, peeled, cored, quartered, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 large pears, peeled, cored, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 navel oranges, peeled, sectioned
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender, then add apples & pears & cook 2 to 5 minutes or until softened, stirring constantly.
- Add cranberries, orange juice, brown sugar, vinegar, rosemary, allspice & nutmeg, mixing well. Cook over medium heat for 12 to 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat, add oranges, & serve warm. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator.