Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A great recipe for leftover Christmas cake or pudding. I saw this recipe on the Seven Sunrise Show and remember a friend's mum making something like years ago. She would use up her leftover Christmas pudding and cakes during the year to make this, and it tasted very nice indeed. I am not sure if this is the exact same recipe, but it sure looks close to it. I always have leftovers, and never quite sure what to use them in but this year I will freeze the leftover pudding and cake to use later in this recipe. Slice can be made up to 5 days ahead or freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw at room temperature, before serving.
- 125 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup apricot jam
- 3 cups crumbled fruitcake
- 3⁄4 cup self-raising flour
- 1⁄4 cup desiccated coconut
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- extra mixed spice, to decorate
LEMON ICING INGREDIENTS
- 100 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 1 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar icing
- Grease a 19cm x 30cm lamington pan. Line base of pan with baking paper.
- Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Beat in apricot jam. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Stir cake crumbs into egg mixture until combined,stir in flour, coconut, mixed spice and milk, in two batches. Spread mixture into prepared pan.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 30 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Stand for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Lemon Icing ~
- Beat butter and lemon rind until pale in colour. Gradually beat in icing sugar mixture, and beat until smooth.
- Spread lemon icing over cold slice. Sprinkle with extra mixed spice before cutting into squares.
Such a perfect recipe for this time of year !! I used up some fruit cake and a couple of sad muffins found in the freezer with a perfect result that was soft and moist. Everyone loved it !!