Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I made this "fruit cake" for my husband's birthday dinner, as he is not fond of cake. This "cake" is made entirely of fresh fruit, which is cleverly arranged in the shape of a cake (basically a carefully arranged fruit salad). It was a big hit with my hubby and the rest of our family, especially the kids. It's healthy, people can pluck off whatever fruit they desire and cut whatever size slice of watermelon they like, and the types of fruit used are interchangeable. Creative substitutions are welcomed! Enjoy!
- 1 watermelon, seedless, medium-sized
- 1 pineapple, peeled and chopped (or sliced)
- 946.0 ml strawberry, whole
- 5 kiwi, peeled and sliced
- Lay watermelon on its side. With a large, non-serrated, sharp butcher knife, cut both ends off to form straight edges. Turn watermelon so that it is sitting flat-sides up and down. Carefully trim the rhind off, so it resembles the smooth, straight curve of a round cake.
- Arrange pineapple, strawberries and kiwi however you wish atop the cake and around the bottom. If it is being prepared ahead of time, leave the tops on the strawberries to preserve their freshness.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- The best way I found to serve it was for our guests to pluck their fruit of choice off the "cake" while I sliced chunks of watermelon as requested.
Superb! Fantastic cake - bringing this to my tennis match, we all seem to be on diets & this way we can enjoy a little sweetness without feeling guilty about a high calorie cake. Thank you for posting this recipe : )
This is amazing! THANK YOU THANK YOU for finally making a recipe available that truly is healthy and fresh. It has been so difficult these past few years to celebrate my husband's birthdays because he doesn't eat anything made with flour and/or processed sugar .... and this cake recipe is exactly what I have been hoping to find. And it's not only delicious and healthy but it's absolutely beautiful! Again thank you!!