Recipe by Motivated Mama
A tasty and healthy fruit bread that makes an ideal quick breakfast or snack. For kids and adults from The Organic Baby and Toddler Cookbook.
Top Review by Sara 76
This is delicious! I used both carrot and apple, and I used sultanas as the dried fruit. Next time, I will double the recipe, and bake it in a loaf pan. Great recipe, thanks for sharing it! [Made for Fall 08 Pick-A-Chef]
- 1⁄4 cup good-quality vegetable oil or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup carrots (I use both) or 3⁄4 cup apple, grated (I use both)
- 2 small bananas, mashed
- 2⁄3 cup self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup dried cherries or 1⁄2 cup cranberries or 1⁄2 cup prune
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest or 1 teaspoon orange zest, finely grated and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream the oil or butter with the honey in a mixing bowl. Gradually beat in the egg. Mix in the carrots or apples, bananas and flour (All-purpose flour may be used with 1/2 tsp baking powder); add the raisins, cherries, cranberries, or prunes and zest. Add a little extra flour, if necessary, until spoon stands upright in the mixture.
- Turn the mixture into a greased 7in shallow, square cake pan and level the surface. Bake until golden brown, about 40-45 minutes.
- Cool slightly, then lightly score into finger-shaped slices using a sharp knife. Cool completely in the pan, then cut into fingers and serve.